Blog showcases quilt patterns by Monica Curry. Purchase quilt patterns for every skill level. Also get free patterns, quilting tutorials, and printables.

Sunday, 24 April 2016

Identify fabric fibre content in ONE EASY STEP

Have some mystery fabrics in your stash?
Find out their fibre content in a one easy step


How To Test Mystery Fabrics for fiber Content
 I occasionally pick up fabrics from thrift stores, and I can usually tell the difference between cotton and polyester, but there are times when I'm stumped by the blends. The ladies at So Sew Easy put together a good video on how to determine if your fabric is synthetic or the real deal. It's important to know what you're working with before it's too late. Case in point, I once made a whole wack of HSTs and when I went to press my first batch, one triangle on every HST shrunk because I didn't realize it was polyester/cotton. Why did the triangles shrink? The poly fibres in the fabric melted from the hot iron. Poly is short for polyethylene aka plastic.
See the video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDXOl4UbSqU